Live From Grand Princess: We’re Testing Seasick Medicines (Oh, No!)

May 23, 2011 | By | 8 Comments

Let’s face it: One downside of cruising can be Mama Nature’s unpredictable nature. Ocean conditions can change at a whim, and if you’re not prepared … well, look out. I know this from experience: I’m often plagued by motion discomfort on anything that floats, from sailboats to naval destroyers (on a visit to Newport News where a family friend commanded a destroyer, I embarrassed us all by getting seasick while we were actually at the dock). And now, during my time aboard the newly refurbed Grand Princess, seasickness may be about to rear its ugly head.

My first few days on Grand Princess — beginning with Guernsey’s St. Peter Port and moving on to Brittany’s Brest — featured skies filled with sunshine and a brisk wind. Nights? Cold and blustery. But now this: The seas are already restless, and I hear it may get worse. Indeed, it was so bad last night that the crew bar, located in the unfortunate position of all-the-way-forward, was deserted. That’s bad weather.

The word is that the notoriously bumpy Bay of Biscay in the Eastern Atlantic may be even bumpier in the days ahead. So I’m glad to have come prepared: I’m testing key remedies for mal de mer, including my longtime mainstay (Bonine chewable tablets that bring me childhood aspirin flashbacks). I’ll also be donning a Sea Band to test its ability to keep me upright. And I’m wondering: In a pinch, does ginger-flavored gum really work?

Don’t worry. We won’t be posting photos on the Lido Deck if these remedies don’t make the grade, but we’ll let you know how things progress as the seas rock and roll.

Feeling a little queasy? See our tips on how to avoid seasickness.

Comments

8 Responses to “Live From Grand Princess: We’re Testing Seasick Medicines (Oh, No!)”

1. ACruiseGuy
      May 23rd, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I love when ships rock ‘n roll!

2. Jan Evans
      May 23rd, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Patches work!

3. Julie McIntyre
      May 23rd, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Try drinking more….. Bombay Sapphire Gin works for me every time.

4. Ali R.
      May 23rd, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

25 mg of Meclazine, twice a day. It’s the generic of Antivert (used for vertigo) We were on board with a pharmacist back in 1988 and he was taking it. My mom used to get really sick….not anymore! We have done over 100 cruises and she no longer gets sick. its been her miracle worker. We have had pharmacists try to Sep ua bonine and dramamine because Meclazine is the active ingredient in them, however just the Meclazine alone there have been zero side effects. She doesn’t get tired and can still enjoy a glass or two or three of wine.

5. Bob B.
      May 23rd, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

My wife got sick just reading this!!!

6. Karen
      May 24th, 2011 @ 11:28 am

I find ginger candies (Asian stores) and generic sea sickness pills from Costco work for me if and when I need them, like being chased by a hurricane from Costa Maya, Mexico to New Orleans.

7. Coleen
      May 25th, 2011 @ 11:53 am

I tried Meclazine for the first time this March because it was offered in the physicians area for the taking. My family and friends referred to me as being \high\ when I took them. I didn’t notice a difference in my behavior but they sure did.

8. Louise
      May 26th, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I take phernagen tablets from the chemists and they seem to work without any side effects