May 5, 2011 | By | 21 Comments

As grand and, really, exciting as Carnival Magic is, there’s been a nagging problem in Cabin 9219 since this inaugural cruise began. We can hear every word uttered in Cabin 9215. Actually, we could hear every word uttered, but my wife and I and the kind folks next door have taken a vow of silence — or at least a vow of whispering — every time we step foot inside. We can thank the adjoining doors for this nuisance, which are no doubt ideal for families. But for strangers? Not so much.

We realized there was a problem moments after arriving on Day 1, when we heard the people next door talking about how they’d unpack. I was convinced they were on the verandah, and their voices were simply seeping through the heavy glass door. Nope. It was coming through clear as a bell courtesy of the adjoining doors.

If someone coughs next door, we hear it. If someone uses the blow dryer, we hear it. If the phone rings, we hear it. TV volumes have to be kept super-low, and because the beds in both cabins front those dastardly doors, we might as well be sleeping in the same room.

Luckily, we’ve got wonderfully considerate, super-fun neighbors, and we’ve been joking about the situation. Yesterday, when we had a guest who didn’t realize he was broadcasting through the wall, the pair good-naturedly shoved the “Snoozin’” sign used to alert housekeeping that a cabin is occupied under the adjoining door.

We’re not alone. I’ve heard tales from others about the lack of soundproofing between adjoining rooms, and other noisy quirks. For instance, if a door is slammed shut on Deck 11, I swear we can hear it on Deck 9 — though that’s almost to be expected, since doors are heavy and slam easily.

But the adjoining-room sound issue? That’s new territory for me, though I’m told sister ship Carnival Dream shares the same issues. Since Magic has “family” written all over it, it’s a tremendous boon for large groups traveling together. But if you want a little peace and quiet and privacy, you’d be best off making sure there are no doors separating you and the strangers in the next cabin.

Looking for solace on your next cruise? Check out our guide to finding peace and quiet on the high seas.

And be sure to find the accommodation that fit your needs. See how to find the perfect cabin.

Comments

21 Responses to “Live From Carnival Magic: Beware of This Door. The People on the Other Side Can Hear Everything.”

1. Judy ODwyer
      May 5th, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Yikes! I hope this is not true for all of the cabins!

Judy

2. Deb Plumb
      May 5th, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

This is too funny! Quite embarrassing if you are traveling with family who has started to bug you, so you talk about them behind their back(s), from “the privacy” of your own adjoining cabin. My husband was dreaming about listening to the night escapades of some hot, young sweetie getting it on during her cruise vacation.

3. Bev
      May 5th, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

We had this same experience on RC’s Explorer on a past trip. It was as if we were in the same room with the people in the adjoining cabin. They were NOT nice, and argued extensively, particularly in the wee hours of the morning after much drinking, so much so that we reported it to the front desk. Needless to say, I’ll always check to make sure a cabin does not have an adjoining door.

4. Diane
      May 5th, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I’ve had that experience on Royal Caribbean and Carnival both. I only book adjoining rooms to families and close friends who request it. I try to avoid booking by discos, karaoke and casinos as well,

5. Bryan W
      May 5th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Can you offer some insight on:

The shows/nightlife?
      The casino? What games are offered?
      The staff to cruiser ratio and if it is good?
      What would you change if you could change anything…

Sorry I think my post keeps getting lost…

Thanks,
      Bryan

6. Andrea
      May 5th, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

We’ve had this too on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. Absolutely a pain. I refuse to book adjoining rooms anymore unless I know who’s in the other room.

7. Dan
      May 5th, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I can attest to the banging door noise from decks away or neighbors . We were on the Costa Pacifica last year (sister ship, same layout) to the Magic and all evening (we are to bed early) we heard banging balcony doors. These ships don’t have sliding glass doors, they swing open and have auto closing device that makes the SLAM. Typical evening consisted of SLAM, SLAM, SLAM.

8. ARPIE
      May 5th, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

I agree that the sound proofing needs help. We had this problem on the Dream. Every morning while I was in the bathroom I could hear someone talking in a foreign language. I thought maybe there was crew quarters or supply rooms in-between the interior rooms. It turns out it was our next door neighbors, their native language wasn’t English ( they spoke English in public).

9. GaNavy
      May 6th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

The only surprise here is that you’re surprised. Except that I guess it’s your first cruise, so how would you know?

This is a potential issue with adjoining cabins on all Carnival ships and probably those of other lines as well. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see anything on or near this door that would suggest there’s any sound insulation. Better to leave adjoining cabins to family groups traveling together.

10. Cruise Critic
      May 6th, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

@GaNavy: Nah, it’s far from my first cruise, but my first one on Carnival in an adjoining cabin. Would definitely not choose this particular cabin in the future, though, unless I was traveling with the fam.
      - John

11. Kerry
      May 10th, 2011 @ 11:37 am

When we were on the Dream, we could actually hear the man next door snoring at night. Thank God it was a low snore, more of a heavy breathing, but annoying all the same! That was the first time I had a connecting room in 10 cruises!

We just booked the Liberty with family and when my Mom suggested we get a connecting I told her absolutely not for this reason!

There has to be something they can do for this!

-Kerry

12. Betty Miles
      May 10th, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Wow, all the millions spent on the Magic & the rooms are that bad to hear every word from the neighbor. That’s just not good.Hope the Breeze learns from that.

13. Me-Here
      May 10th, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

We ran into the same on one of our trips…and we had a great steward. When we explained the situation to him, he went and got a bunch of extra towels…and “locked” them into the gap between the 2 adjoining doors to muffle the sound. While not perfect, it definitely helped!

14. Kimberly
      May 11th, 2011 @ 11:59 am

OUr room was fine, but our friends couldn’t sleep as we were on deck 6 and the night life was on deck 5 and the noise carried.

15. Lynn
      May 13th, 2011 @ 9:02 am

WOW I am nervous the only rooms left on the Enchanment were joining rooms outside…what do you do or say….do you remark to the family on the otherside that you can hear everything that is said….what is the polite thing or right thing to do??

16. Lou Anne Roegiest
      May 13th, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I hearty agree about the lack of sound proofing, and I did not have a connecting room. I as well am early to bed and I was on deck 6. Heard the music from the piano bar until 1am so clear I could sing along with most of the songs, doors slamming, etc. Really annoying.

17. roz greenstein
      May 18th, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

had a situation on an adjoining room category on celebrity summit – couldnt understand when in the middle of the nite i would awaken in what was a spotlight in my eyes – not to be a complainer, or disturb my husband, i let it go – the next nite, similiar problem-when i am on a cruise,there can be nothing to bother me -i discovered that the space under the door of the adjoining room had a large gap – when the neighboring passengers awoke during the nite, they would open their light – that light would bounce off the lamp on my bedstand which was a white plastic shade and actually illuminate this – with this came a knock on our door from a steward advising us our t.v. was too loud – impossible because it was on so low as not to disturb anyone but THEY heard it = we stopped putting on the t.v.-i pointed the situation out to celebrity when we returned – they said nothing could be done – however friends just returned from same cruise and they said that there was strips of tape on the bottom of the door – so we were not the only ones

18. Barb Schuessler
      May 28th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

9217 & 9219 DON’T even connect. How can they hear each other? 9219 connects to 9215, is that what the guys meant? Hope he corrects that before others don’t reserve 9217 for no reason. :(

19. Cruise Critic
      May 28th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

@Barb — Thanks for the nudge. I thought I’d fixed that weeks ago (the people next door had pointed out the error!). It’s 9215 in the text now.

20. Janet
      June 2nd, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

Be aware they have the same problem on the Imagination. My 90 year old father and I sailed back in April on the Imagination and had a roudy bunch of drunks in the cabin next door and we had a connecting door. It doesn’t do a bit of good to complain to the crew they don’t do a thing about it.

21. Ann
      July 11th, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

OMG I had an adjoining cabin on the Magic on the 6th floor. The ladies in the cabin next door did not even try to be quiet. They woke me up 5 of the 7 nights screaming and laughing at 2 and 3 o’clock in the morning when we had to be up at 5:30 for an excursion the next day. We finally asked them to keep it down but they only did it one night. I will definately make sure I never get adjoining rooms again. I had no idea this was an adjoining room since I upgraded at the last minute.