Live From Carnival Magic: It’s a Beer Emergency!

May 2, 2011 | By | 16 Comments

One of the most vaunted new spaces on Carnival Magic is the RedFrog Pub. I’ll be reporting on it more later, but trust me: It’s one fun spot. At 1:30 this morning, the pub was still packed with passengers singing, dancing and drinking — I made 25 new BFF’s, and I don’t remember any of their names. Interestingly, one of the claims to fame of this instant icon is its Thirsty Frog Red Ale, brewed exclusively for the line and served only on Carnival Magic. I watched as keg after keg of the super suds (yeah, it’s mighty tasty) was switched out, then promptly drained by the crowd.

So the beer emergency? There’s no more! After a pub hubbub by thirsty patrons, the Carnival team was pressed this morning about the imminent availability of the ale. The word right now: It’s being “air freighted” to the ship, and patrons will be pushed to switch to other Caribbean beers like Jamaica’s Red Stripe (the pub has a Caribbean theme that extends to its libations). I was told Carnival wayyyy underestimated how much passengers would be drawn to the new brew, but I’m guessing the 100-ounce glass tubes being poured didn’t help. Each tube holds the equivalent of about six full pints, and they were everywhere last night. But the whole supply is gone in a day? Could be Magic’s first disappearance act.

Comments

16 Responses to “Live From Carnival Magic: It’s a Beer Emergency!”

1. Nicole
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Stay out of the pool!!

2. Dennis
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

What was the line like at the men’s room?

3. Barb Schuessler
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Would like to see pics of the 100-ounce glass tubes, is it like a yard on the Islands?

4. Trevor
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

100 ounce tubes? We need a photo of this – is it like a Yard of Ale?

5. Cruise Critic
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Trevor and Barb . . . not to fear. I’ll snap a photo of the beer tubes if — ok, WHEN — I wander back through the RedFrog.

6. Spencer Cooper
      May 2nd, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

WOW!! The Red Frog Pub seems to be VERY popular. I wonder if they have considered adding this to other ships?? It seems like it would do very well on other ships too!

7. Cruise Critic
      May 3rd, 2011 @ 3:13 am

Good question, Spencer. Carnival honcho Gerry Cahill said at a press conference yesterday that the line is watching to see how things go before it rolls back the new features (SportsSquare, enhanced water park, etc.) to other ships. Can’t see how the RedFrog won’t be a staple fleet-wide at some point, though.

8. leonard
      May 4th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

i guess this is part of the plan to install pay toilets

9. steve
      May 4th, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

if that is all pople go a cruie for WOW why spend X amount of dollars and get see sick ,stay home and drink . Allthough these are the FUN ships its ok if thats your idea of fun drink till you puke and then drink some more

10. nancy
      May 4th, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

To Steve, first learn to spell and how to use punctuation. Second, did I miss the post on people becoming ill and puking? Every time most people drink they do not become ill, but perhaps you’re different from most people.
      On the topic of the \Beer emergency\, I think it’s very interesting that a cruise line has \tapped\ into (sorry, couldn’t resist) the microbrew phenomenon. I wonder who is brewing for them? And with the success Carnival seems to be having, will other cruise lines roll out their own special brews?

11. Cecilia
      May 4th, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I love ales and can’t wait to get a job (been unemployed since 9/11) and go on another Carnival cruise that has the Red Frog Pub and try their ale. But 100 ounces? Come on…16 ounces are enough for me…. I’m only 5’2″ and if I drank 100 ounces you’d have to peel me off the floor….

12. Kerry
      May 4th, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

This old Irish lad will be testing this stout sometimes next year when the Ms’s and I go-a-cruisin’ on this lovely ship.

13. steve
      May 5th, 2011 @ 8:03 am

To Nancy, don`t get me wrong if that is what you like to do on a CRUISE thats fine, and yes that is a wonderfull idea . I just can`t see spending someones hard earned money to go on a cruise and just drink . Cruises have a lot to offer , I have been on many, and have had my share of the loud rude drunks. I am all for having a good time and can party like everyone else but not get get really drunk and rude. yes Carnival may have a big hit with thier brewery( I will try it my self my next cruise )but will not spend lots of time there . sorry for my big fat fingers and (typos )

14. BoomerHouston
      May 9th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Looking forward to sampling some of the Thirsty Red Frog Ale when I climb aboard in Galveston later this year. I am sure that the 100 oz. tubes are an option to the traditional pint. Out of curiousity, (for someone blogging on the current cruise, what do these run in $US DOLLARS? Thanks in advance!

-BoomerHouston

15. Gail
      May 10th, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I’ve also seen them in Vegas.

Pretty cool gimick, It’s an updated pitcher! The base has a tap for dispensing into glasses.

16. Denise
      May 22nd, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

The same thing happened on the Dream inaugural, only it was Coors lite. The only bar that had it the last few days was the aft pool bar. Don’t understand why they can’t transfer it to the other bars-but they won’t. They seem to be very territorial of their stock.